Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Review of City of Glass by Cassandra Clare





Series: The Mortal Instruments
Author:  Cassandra Clare
Book in a series: Book Three: City of Glass
Pages: 541
Goodreads Excerpt:
 To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.


Review:
To be honest, it has taken me a while to even get to this book in the series.  I have had it for a while and didn't have the desire to pick it up for a long time.  I think Cassandra Clare's writing continues from the other two books in the series to be a bit unbelievable.  I don't mean that in a good way necessarily.  I feel like I have read this particular story before.  There are a couple of things that blew me away in this series, but none that I feel particularly proud to have read.  It's kind of hard to have anything more to say than that because I feel like, meh.  It's been done before.  I need something to thrill me more than this.  I have to say that the last part of the book bumped the rating up from a 3 to a 4 for me, but that mostly had to do with me being so GLAD she didn't keep going with a particularly worrisome character storyline.  I will get more into that in the spoilers, if you choose to read.  In the end, I'm sure I will finish out the series, but it is definitely not one of my favorites.

Rating: 4 of 5.

Warning!  Spoilers:
Is anyone else this happy that she didn't keep the incest storyline going?!  That entire part of the series just about made me put the whole thing down and say forget it, and let me tell you, that is something that is HARD for me to do.  That is thing one that blew me away, and not in a good way.  How completely gross, even if it didn't end up being incestual.  Clary and Jace still THOUGHT they were brother and sister.  Thing two that blew me away kind of ties into thing one.  Sebastian (Jonathan) being Clary's brother and Jace not being related to Clary or Valentine at all.  It blew me away that she would go that route because I saw it coming ever since we were introduced to Sebastian.  The whole reveal was kind of lost on me because of it, and I wasn't even spoiled by something beforehand.  But that incest, even if it turned out not to be incest, was disgusting.  Again, they still thought they were related.  No, I don't care how much you may love someone.  The second you think there might be some kind of family tie there, it's over.  Done.  As far as Jace goes, anyway.  She DID kiss Sebastian, though, which IS incest.  I don't know why that would seem like a good story decision.  I just can't get over it.  I'm so glad that part is over, though.  SO glad.  Ugh.

Tell me what YOU thought of City of Glass (or any of the previous books in the series) by Cassandra Clare!

2 comments:

  1. The incest portion is the worst part of these stories for me. I have such a love/hate relationship with this series because of it. I want to read Heavenly Fire, but I definitely need a break from Shadow hunters for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. I just don't see the point of adding something like that in there. I know a lot of people really enjoy these stories, but that was such a turn off for me.

      Delete